These activities are quick to create and simple to develop and involve key sounds in numbers and colours for teachers just starting to work with French (or any language- but it really works well in French) with their primary school children.The games can easily be used as a revisiting activity at any time in a language learner's career.They can lead to puzzles and performance opportunities
The games in the first instance involve numbers 1-11 and simple colours (bleu,jaune,orange,vert,noir,blanc )
- As the teacher think about the numbers and colours you have taught.
- Practise with the children key sounds in the words
- Create a chart of key sounds as letter combinations for sounds that are in both colours and numbers or just in the colours or just in the numbers.
- Take a look here:
Can you see the key sounds and letter combinations in the numbers 1-11 and the colours: bleu,jaune,orange,vert,marron,noir,blanc?
Take quick look some of the sounds and letter combinations are in both the colours and the numbers.
Sound in the word ladders and scafffolds
- Ask your class first of all to create a "sound in the word ladder or scaffold " of the words they think that the key sounds come from- they may think of both a number and a colour for some of the boxes in the table
- Can they add performance (mime,actions and volume) to their sound in the word ladders and scaffolds. They can decide to work across the table in horizontal lines or run down one column and then the other column of the table. Maybe they want to start from the bottom and work upwards etc .They can decide!
- Can they perform their "sound in the word ladder or scaffold "for another group of children and can thwy trace the path that has been followed on the table of sounds?
Step Two !All shook up!
- Cut up the table in to individual sound cards and put them out on the table.One set per four children works best.
The groups of children can now play several different games:
- Take it in turns to select a sound and say a number or colour
- Take it in turns and collect number cards only - who has the most when the sounds' cards the children can use run out?
- Take it in turns to create a run of cards of all the colours or all the numbers
- Take it in turns to create a run of cards of all the colours but in French alphabetical order/ try this with numbers but in numerical order or in reverse order